- Building Department
2020 Indiana Residential Building Code has been amendedThe 2020 Residential Building Code when into effect January 1, 2020. It includes numerous changes pertaining to new residential construction. Fore more information, please contact our office, or visit https://www.iabo.com/2020ResidentialCode
The Town of Burns Harbor Building Department oversees the enforcement of the Indiana Building Code, Burns Harbor Town Code, and other applicable regulations in order to promote public safety, protect life, health, property and the welfare of the public. The department is responsible for issuing building permits, performing inspections for construction and remodeling projects, and also oversees business and contractor registrations.
The Town of Burns Harbor requires a building/improvement location permit for all construction projects, or building improvements, repairs, restorations that cost over $1,000.00.
- A permit shall be required for beginning construction on any building or structure or for the restoration or repair of any building or structure if the cost of the construction, repair or restoration exceeds $1,000.00. A permit shall be required prior to the erection of any fence or prior to the construction, restoration or repair of any deck, or shed, regardless of the cost of such construction, restoration or repair. (Ordinance 230-2009)
Any resident or contractor found working without a permit may be issued a Stop Work Order.
Permits, & Forms
- Building Permit - PDF Fill-in
- Building Permit - Printable PDF
- Complaint Form - PDF Fill in
- Complaint Form - Printable PDF
- Excavation Permit - PDF Fill-in
- General Contractor and Sub-Contractors List PDF Fill-in
- General Contractor and Sub-Contractors List Printable
- New Business Determination Form PDF Fill-in
- Temporary Pool Registration - PDF Fill in
- Temporary Pool Registration - Printable PDF
- Temporary Use Permit - PDF Fill in
- Temporary Use Permit - Printable PDF
- Storage Container Permit - Printable
- Storage Container Permit - PDF Fill-in
Contractor's License and Business License
- Letter of Explanation for obtaining Contractor or Business License
- Contractor's License - PDF Fill-in
- Contractor's License - Printable PDF
- License To Do Business - PDF Fill-in
- License To Do Business - Printable PDF
Tables & Maps
- How do I obtain a Building/Improvement Location Permit?
- What are the requirements for a Building/Improvement Location Permit?
- How do I know if I need a permit?
- Where can I get a copy of the Building Code?
- What is a Temporary Use Permit used for?
- Do you need a permit to demolish a building?
- Do I need a permit for a swimming pool?
- Is a permit needed for a temporary pool?
- Where on my property can I place a pool?
- Do I have to fence in my yard when I put up a pool?
- How long do I have to start work after I obtain a permit?
- Where on my property can I place a shed (Detached Accessory Building)?
- How to obtain a Contractor’s License or Business License?
- How do I file a complaint?
- Can I have a storage container on my property?