Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Are there laws about when fireworks can be discharged in town?
A. Yes. Ordinance 205, Consumer Fireworks, allows the use, ignition, or discharge of fireworks within the hours of 5 p.m. and two hours after sunset on June 29, June 30, July 1, July 2, July 3, July 4, July 5, July 6, July 7, July 8 and July 9 in any year; between the hours of 10 a.m. and 12 midnight on July 4; and between the hours of 10 a.m. on December 31 and 1 a.m. on January 1 in any given year.

Q. How do I dispose of a large item, such as a couch or a mattress?
A. You may place the large item out with your garbage on your collection day.  You may only dispose of one large item per week, so if you need to arrange for more to be picked up, or something as large as a king-size mattress, please call Republic Services at (219) 921-1294.

Q. Do I need a permit for a swimming pool?
A. Yes.  An electrical inspection is also required in accordance with Burns Harbor Town Code Chapter 15-13-8 Swimming Pools and Chapter 15 Table 15-1, 4, 5 Fees. The Town of Burns Harbor adheres to the current edition of the requirements found in Section 675, Article 20 of the Indiana Administrative Code, as well as Appendix, G, Section AG 105.2 of the International Residential Code as published by the International Code Council, Inc. Swimming pools shall be securely fenced or covered as required by state statute.  Please contact the Building Department with any questions, (219) 787-9187. 

Q. Can I pay my sewer bill after hours?
A. Yes. There is a secure drop box located in front of the town hall, near the flagpole, for your convenience. You can also pay online anytime with a credit or debit card.  Click here for details. 

Q. Does the Town have a Facebook or Twitter page?
A. Yes. Click here to go to the Town of Burns Harbor Facebook page.   Click here to go to the Town of Burns Harbor Twitter page.

Q. What day is trash pick up?
A. Thursdays.

Q. When is recycling picked up?
A. It is picked up every two weeks on Thursdays. Click here for the schedule.

Q. How do I request an Accident Report?
A. Click here to request an accident report from website.

Q. How do I report a NIPSCO streetlight is out?
A. Go to .

Q. Does the town pick up Christmas Trees?
A. Yes. If it is not picked up with trash collection, leave it by the road and the street department will pick it up.

Q. Do I need a permit to operate an overweight vehicle in town?
A. Yes. A permit needs to be on file with the Street Department.

Q. Does the town have regulations for parking during a snow event?
A. Yes. Snow Emergency Regulations within the town code, prohibits parking on public streets and alleys within the town when two (2) or more inches of snow has fallen.

Q. Does the town pick up brush?
A. Yes. The Street Department picks up brush on Mondays May - October, weather permitting. Tree branches are to be no longer than 6 feet long and no larger than 6 inches in diameter. All materials are to be placed on the Town's right-of-way, close to the edge of the pavement. 

Q. When is my sewer bill due?
A. The first day of each month.

Q. What type of payment is accepted for my sewer bill?

A. Cash, check, money order, and credit or debit card. A convenience fee of 3.0% applies to all credit or debit card payments, minimum fee of $1.00.

Q. Will I get a sewer bill in the mail each month, or bi-monthly?

A. No. You will receive a coupon book in the mail each November with a payment coupon for each month in the following calendar year. You should send in your payment each month, by the first day of the month, and include the corresponding month’s coupon from your book.

Q. Will my sewer bill vary month by month based upon my water usage?
A. No. The bill is calculated using ERU’s (Equivalent Residential Units) and the current rate per ERU is $40.75. Class I Users, or residential users, are assessed at 1 ERU per unit. This includes single family residences, apartments, condominiums, townhouses, duplexes, and mobile home courts (spaces available for rent). Class II Users, or non-residential users, are billed at the number of ERU’s set by a town official based on an examination of the user’s facilities and determining the estimated average monthly flow into the sewage works.

Q. Where do I vote?
A. Voting takes place at the Town Hall, 1240 North Boo Road. For more information about voting visit the Porter County Election page.